3 eggs, at room temperature, separated
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp vanilla
4 tbsp all purpose flour
1 tbsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp cornstarch
175 ml milk
1 tsp orange zest
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp orange liqueur (such us Grand Marnier)
Seasonal fruits or berries
1. Preheat oven at 350F.
2. Whip the egg whites with cream of tartar, adding gradually half of amount of sugar, until stiff peaks.
3. Beat the egg yolks with remaining sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla.
4. Sift flour, cornstarch and salt over egg yolk mixture. Add 1/3 of the whipped whites and fold gently. Add remaining whites.
5. Spread the batter in thin layer on a cookie sheet, covered with a parchment paper.
6. Bake for 15-20 min until a tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cake cool for 15 minutes in pan, then turn out onto cooling rack to cool completely.
7. For the syrup, bring the sugar and water to a boil. Turn off the heat and add liqueur.
8. For the cream filling, put sugar and cornstarch in a bowl. Whisk in the egg until it smooth and no lumpy. Heat the milk in a microwave and slowly add to the mixture. Add orange zest. Place the mixture in a pan and cook it for 4-5 min, stirring occasionally until thicken. Stain throw the fine strainer and cool.
9. Whisk the whipping cream to medium peak and fold it into cooled pastry cream.
10. To assemble, using a round cookie cutter, cut the cooled cake into 10 to 12 circles. Either on a plate or in a suitable glass, place 1 disc of cake. Moisten with the syrup and dollop the cream filling on top. Sprinkle with fruits or berries.Repeat this process two more times. Garnish with a sprig of mint.
|< Prev||Next >|