1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 cup finely ground nuts (any nuts)
1/3 cup cold margarine, cut into pieces
2 tbsp sugar
5 tbsp water
1 tbsp milk
1 3/4 cup dried apricots
1 tbsp orange rind
1 cup apple juice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/3 cup raisins
1. Grease and line with parchment paper 8" square pan.
2. Mix together all dry ingredients - flour, nuts and sugar. Rub in the margarine
with a fingers until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Adding enough
water to make a soft dough, wrap it in a plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
3. To make the filling, place apricot, orange rind and juice in a heavy saucepan,
bring it to a boil and let simmer for about 20 min. Cool slightly and puree in
food processor. Stir in raisins and ground cinnamon.
4. Unwrap the chilled dough and divide in half. Roll out one half and line with it
the base of the pan. Spread the filling evenly over the top. Roll out the second
half of the dough and use to cover the apricot puree. Lightly press down the
edges to seal them and brush the top with a milk.
5. Preheat oven at 375F. Dot the top with a fork and bake for 20-25 min until
golden brown in color. Cool slightly, sprinkle with an icing sugar and cut into