1 cup buttermilk
1 cup water
1 tsp vanilla
1+1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 firm apples, peeled and corded and cut into 5 mm thick rings
Vegetable oil for deep frying
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1. Whisk together the buttermilk, water, egg and vanilla.
2. In a bowl combine the 1 cup flour, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix to form a lumpy batter.
4. Let stand at room temperature for 20 min.
5. Meanwhile, heat the oil in the deep fryer to 360F.
6. Dredge the apple rings into the remaining flour, shaking off any excess. Dip the apples in batter and fry until golden, about 2 minutes per side.
7. Remove from the oil and place on a paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
8. Sprinkle with cinnamon mixture. Serve with sour cream and maple syrup.
|< Prev||Next >|