|Black Forest Cake|
8 eggs, separated
2/3 cup sugar
31/2 oz dark chocolate, melted
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
2/3 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup cornstarch
pinch of salt
1/4 cup cherry liqueur (such as Kirsch)
3 cups whipping cream
3 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp gelatin
1/4 cup cold water
1 lb jar sour cherries in light syrup, drained
12 Maraschino cherries for garnish
2 oz chocolate for decorations
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Grease and line with parchment paper 9" spring form pan.
3. Beat with electric mixer egg yolks and 1/3 cup of sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and melted chocolate and beat until incorporated.
4. Whip egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks, adding remaining sugar gradually
5. Sift flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt over egg mixture. Add 1/3 of whipped whites and fold gently, using a circular motion.
6. Add the remainder of the whipped egg whites and fold in.
7. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35-40 min until toothpick inserted in a center comes out clean. Cool the cake and slice horizontally into 3 layers.
8. Bring to a boil sugar and water. Remove from the heat and stir in the liqueur. Moisten each layer of the cake with a pastry brush.
9. To make the filling, whip the cream with the sugar. Dissolve the gelatin in a cold water and set aside for 1 minute. Heat just until gelatin dissolves. Cool slightly and fold into whipped cream.
10. Spread thin layer of the filling on the bottom layer of the cake, then pipe 4 circles of whipped cream on top. Fill the gaps between the circles with cherries. Place the second layer of the cake on top and repeat with filling and cherries. Cover the top layer and the sides with whipped cream and sprinkle with chocolate shavings. Pipe 12 cream rosettes around the edge and decorate with Maraschino cherries.