10 egg whites
3/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cups icing sugar, sifted
1 cup cake flour, sifted
1 tsp lemon zest
1 cup frozen berry mix, thawed
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp raspberry liqueur (Framboise)
1. Preheat oven at 350F.
2. Whip egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks begin to form.Gradually, add icing sugar. Continue to beat until meringue is glossy and stiff. Add the vanilla.
3. Sift the flour and the salt into a medium bowl. Add lemon zest and toss to combine.
4. Gently fold the flour mixture in 3 batches into the meringue until well blended, ensuring that you scrap the bottom of the bowl as you fold.
5. Pour into 10-inch ungreased tube pan. Bake until golden and middle springs back when touched, about 45 minutes. Invert onto the neck of a bottle. Cool completely upside down.When cake is completely cooled, run a knife around the edge of the pan and along the tube.
6. To make the sauce, combine thawed berries with the sugar and the lemon juice. Heat them over moderate heat just until sugar has dissolved. Remove the sauce from the heat, add liqueur and serve with a piece of the cake.